Monday, January 26, 2015

Add slam to poetry and it gets attention

Got home in time to go to Red Cafe to hear Harry Baker. He's a brilliant young performance poet, one time World Slam Champion, and maths student.

I was tired on arriving home and it was raining and it was very tempting to curl up and stay in but I'm so glad I made the effort. I love 99 problems but maths ain't one of them and Dinosaur love but this one, written more recently (he's 22), was my favourite last night.



It was my first Linden event since leaving and I was rather nervous. I should add that I get nervous opening a closed door and walking into a room in almost all circumstances let alone these. Red Cafe had had building work since the last time I was there so I wasn't even sure which door to use. Imagine opening the door, walking in and finding yourself standing in front of and interrupting the performing poet (I was late naturally). Eventually I hovered outside until someone else turned up and followed them in. And how delighted I was to see Kerry and Tim Tudor near the back with a spare seat at their table! I pounced on it. 'Is anyone sitting here? Can I join you?' (Actually I'm not sure if I asked or whether I just plonked myself down with a relieved sigh and they were too polite to tell me to clear off.)

So it wasn't as bad as I feared and the first time is done now. If I'd left it much longer I suspect I would never have gone to a Linden event again; My scarediness would have built up to monstrous proportions. And, yes, I know there is no need for it. I left with their blessing and for good reasons and most of them are lovely people but somehow knowing that doesn't help when you're a big girl's blouse.

2 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Well done Liz..I know you are not the only one who feels like that about the closed door. I am one of them .. even if I know the people on the other side!!

Liz Hinds said...

It's strange, isn't it, Anne? Or perhaps not.