Sunday, January 04, 2015

I'm not ill

But neither am I 100% either. Since the end of November I've not been on top of my game - had I game on top of which I would ever be unless dog-walking counts or possibly jelly splash - and I am FED UP of it. 

It's only sniffles, dry throat, occasional coughs and frequent weariness but it's driving me mad. I have even greater respect for people will long-term conditions when I struggle so much with petty ailments like these. 

What can I do to fight the bugs? Do you have any old wives' - or old husbands' if it comes to that - advice to give me? What's your favourite pick-me-up? And don't say gin, please, because I don't drink.

Right now I'm off for a dose of extra-strong vitamin C, although I find that tends to make things bearable rather than getting rid of them altogether. And then maybe curl up with a book. Or sleep.

4 comments:

Katney said...

I was going to say lots of vitamin C. but sounds like you've got that covered.

Ole Phat Stu said...

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Acute weariness. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

Stress
Pregnancy
Old age
Viral infections
Hepatitis A
Typhoid fever
Chronic fatigue syndrome
Chemotherapy
Radiation
Cancer cachexia
Pneumonia
Acute severe asthma
COPD
Congestive heart failure

Liz Hinds said...

I have, Katney.

Old age sounds the likeliest bet, Stu! Combined with a busy time over the last few months.

Jay said...

So many people I know have had this - and we are no exception. I have been ill since the beginning of November. The first week, ill enough not to go out or get dressed, then I improved and by the end of November was up and about again though still coughing. Went down with it again over Christmas and I'm still suffering. Feels like the same bug!!

I am making daily jugs of ACE juice: carrot, orange and apple, roughly in thirds with the balance tipped slightly in favour of the carrot. If you juice it yourself, you'll need to add at least half a lemon, but bought apple and carrot juices have it added already as an antioxidant.

I'm also making myself hot lemon and honey - fresh lemons, squeeze the juice into a cup of hot water and add a teaspoon of Manuka honey. Drink hot.

I'm eating lots of almonds and sunflower seeds for the zinc (necesary for fighting infection) and the other two important things, I believe, are getting enough sleep and not eating too much sugar.

Good luck in getting rid of the wretched thing!