Monday, May 18, 2015

Mrs Hemingway used to be king until the colour shifted

I've just finished reading We Used to Be Kings by Stewart Foster. A little difficult to get into initially because of the way it's written and, I confess, I am only guessing what some of it meant - I'm not making this sound very appealing, am I? - but well worth it. Apart from the end. I won't tell you what the end is but it's not happy.

That's the second book on the trot that hasn't had a happy ending and the one I'm reading now, Shifting Colours by Fiona Sussman,  is excellent but sad, although I do have hopes for a happy ending. I am a glutton for punishment. 

But I'd decided I'd give the light easy-read romantic novels a break and try some lesser-known authors and styles of writing. 

Also read Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood recently. I know very little about Ernest and the book didn't tell me any more except I suppose that he must have been attractive to women as he had four wives. I liked Hadley, the first one, best.

I am rubbish at writing book reviews so I'll settle for a star system.
We Used to Be Kings 4*
Shifting Colours (although I've not finished it yet) 5*
Mrs Hemingway 3*

1 comment:

sf said...

We Used To be Kings.....Which bits did you guess on?