Monday, November 09, 2015

Trying to enjoy circuit training

I am trying very hard to convince myself I really want to go circuit training this evening.

I'm not succeeding.

It's hard in the winter when the nights are dark and it's cold and windy and all you actually  want to do is curl up in front of the fire. Mind you, it's hard in summer as well when it's too hot to be running about and getting sweaty. And when I do it in the evening it hangs over me all day like a visit to the doctor for a smear test. But when I do it in the morning I have to get out of my nice comfy bed ...

Basically I don't really like circuit training. I do it because it's good for me, I need the exercise and the alternatives (running or the gym) are worse. And I always feel great - very pleased with myself - when I get back.

The various exercises in this circuit aren't too bad; it's the four-minute extras in between stations that finish me. Things like twenty treadmills followed by ten squat jumps over and over again for four minutes. Okay, not over and over again that many times for some of us. It's not so much the treadmills themselves but the standing up again in between that slows me down.

I am also the oldest and least fit woman in the Monday evening group but I have to say, last week I was partnered with a girl (child) about 45 years younger than me and I kept up fairly well.

I should go and get changed now. Where everyone else wears lycra and sporting type clothing I wear my Eric Morecambe shorts and a baggy t-shirt. You'd be proud of me, really you would.

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I am off to the gym this morning. I have my own programme devised for me by a member of staff. I do love going now. I use the tread mill and resistant weights then a machine named the Vibro gym. I do enjoy going but also in go here because of my weak bones.Was referred by doctor. I couldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. Even if it was good for me. Really would seem like a hard task. Hope you had fun x

Liz Hinds said...

Good when it finished!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I loathe going to my Keep Fit class every week .
Everyone's very nice , it makes me vaguely less creaky and It Gets Me Out Of The House , which apparently is a good idea .
Still don't want to go , though .